Acid Reflux Treatment – “Educate, Don’t Medicate”
This was the headline of just one of the many well written articles by health and medical experts warning about the dangers of ‘mediating’ vs ‘treating’ acid reflux or heart burn.
One common class of ant-acids has now been linked to increase stomach cancer, heart disease and dementia, which is why I decided to write this article and provide you with some solutions in this video:
(If you want to know my current favourite ‘quick fix’ supplements for heart burn and acid reflux then scroll to the bottom of the page).
As far back as 2010 the FDA in the US sounded alarms on the use of common PPI drugs like omeprazole because they can increase many life threatening conditions.
According to Mitchell Katz, Director of the Los Angeles County Health Agency and the Director of Los Angeles County Department of Health Services, the United States’ second largest municipal hospital system these dangerous drugs should only be used for:
- Bleeding ulcers
- Infection with the ulcer-causing bacteria Helicobacter pylori
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome (a rare condition that causes your stomach to produce excess acid)
- Severe acid reflux, where an endoscopy has confirmed that your oesophagus is damaged
AND FOR AS SHORT A TIME AS POSSIBLE.
The reality however, is that they are massively over prescribed and wrongly prescribed.
What is really shocking is that an estimated 50% of acid reflux and heart burn is actually caused by LOW stomach acid, not high acid. This is why you need to at least try the simple test I mention in my video.
In 1996, a British physician wrote about a condition is called atrophic gastritis.
Atrophic gastritis (a condition where stomach acid is very low) is associated with a wide range of serious disorders that go far beyond ‘heart burn’ the stomach and oesophagus. These include:
- Stomach cancer
- Bronchial asthma
- Depression, anxiety, mood disorders
- Pernicious anemia
- Skin diseases, including forms of acne, dermatitis, eczema, and urticaria
- Gall bladder disease (gallstones)
- Autoimmune diseases, such as Rheumatoid arthritis and Graves disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Crohn’s disease (CD), Ulcerative colitis (UC)
- Chronic hepatitis
- Type 1 diabetes
If you have acid reflux and any of the other problems above then make you doctor aware of this article: http://gut.bmj.com/content/38/3/306
The Dangers and Unwanted Effects of PPI drugs
There are many different causes of heart burn, but only one type of common medical treatment, regardless of the cause – ant-acid drugs.
There various types of ant-acid drugs, all of them with both short term and long term side-effects. The most commonly prescribed and most dangerous though are the Proton Pump Inhibitors (known as PPI’s).
In the UK the most common PPI’s are
- omeprazole (losec)
There are others, and they often have different names in the USA such as zantac and nexium
Common short term side effects:
- Abdominal pain
Serious immediate side effects:
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis
- Reduced kidney function
- Reduced liver function
- Erythema multiforme
- Serious allergic reactions
This is just the tip of the ‘seriously hazardous’ effects of drugs like omeprazole when taken long term (anything more than 1 year).
Serious Long Term Side Effects
- An increase in stomach acid production (called “acid rebound”), which can create more heartburn—causing a vicious cycle.
- Interference with calcium and protein absorption in the body, which can lead to osteoporosis and bone fractures.
- Dry mouth, which can lead to tooth problems.
- Increased risk of food-borne infections.
- B12 deficiency
And Even More Seriously
- Stomach Cancer increase by 2-8x
- Heart disease increase by 21%
- Chronic kidney disease
2021 Update: My Current Top Supplement Recommendations
- Toxaprevent Medi PLUS Sachet:
- Targeted towards upper GI (mouth, oesophagus, stomach)
- Removes environmental pollutants: heavy metals, ammonium and histamine
- Strengthens the intestinal barrier
- Heartburn (recurring)
- Regenerates intestinal mucosa
- Supports intestinal health
- Removes environmental pollutants and irritants
- Reduces toxic burden on liver and kidneys
Order using code CD10 for 10% Discount : Medi-plus-sachets-30
Go to the page then search for: Toxaprevent Medi PLUS Sachets
Pyloristat contains a number of ingredients that help health the stomach and kill H Pylori (a cause of stomach ulcers)
Research-backed benefits of supplementation with Pyloristat may include:
● Support immune and stomach health
● Support healthy gut bacteria balance
● Support antioxidant activity in cells
Click here to learn more – https://www.nutri-dyn.co.uk/product/pyloristat/?wpam_id=337
If you would like a more holistic approach to finding the cause of your acid reflux then call the clinic on 01707 662 704 and quote ‘Acid Fix’ so we know you’ve read this article.